Searching for an in a snap dish to make that’s not only delicious but it’s good for you too? Look no further, this is it. I really felt like Fall was coming to Southern California and then what goes and happens???? Another heat wave, how can I cook when my sweat box of a house is in the 90’s. Brownies on the barbie maybe, hmm that might work. Anyway, this is a one pot meal that didn’t heat up the house too much and tasted good, I ate it over salad greens for lunch today too.
- 2 tsp or so of olive oil for sautéing the onion
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 T. ginger root, minced or you can use the kind that comes in a toothpaste tube thingy
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked and rinsed to remove that bitter taste
- 1 1/2 cups Carrot Beet juice (I got mine at Trader Joe’s)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 apple, diced I used a Honeycrisp because that’s what I had
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
Saute the onion in the oil in a saucepan for a few minutes, until it’s translucent. Stir in the ginger, quinoa, and juice and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or so until the juice is absorbed. Toast the almonds over low heat until they’re lightly browned. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the peas, apple, coconut and almonds. Cover and let st to let the peas thaw and cool down the salad. Put it in your favorite Vegan Dish and enjoy with a glass of red wine, in the backyard, where it’s a little cooler than the sweat box.